Thursday, October 9, 2008

ALFIE - My Original & Initial Concept Design!

Here is the one of the first concepts I did for the Alfie cartoon. This original version was based more on his personality than his actual look and it was one that I was going to actually go with. He's basically a generic, cute-looking doggie who had appeal for me but there was missing something in the end. It was soon after this version that I would wind up basing the cartoon on the Yorkshire Terrier's actual look since that's what Alfie's breed is. By basing it on his actual look, it made the overall tone and feel completely personal for me and one that I could understand and deal with much more easily when coming up with ideas. I don't know why I just didn't do that in the beginning but design is a process. I like this cartoon version and as you can see, this version has Alfie walking on his back legs like a human. It had more of a Hanna-Barbera simple feel to it, which is nice. This also bothered me though in the end and when I switched my designing process over to drawing an actual Yorkie, I then decided to draw him walking and acting like a real dog would. I did try to have him walking on his back legs when I drew Alfie as you see him now, but for some reason it fell apart in the plausability of it all, so I made him more dog-like. I think this is one of the main reasons that Scooby-Doo was designed the way he was as well. Even though he acts human in certain scenes, he remains very dog-like in his anatomy.

No comments: